I've been doing a lot more work with Office 365 in recent months and, along the way, I've found a lot of snippets of useful information. Normally I'd write
a blog post but I expect to be constantly adding to the information so I thought I'd create a different solution. For now that's using this site (which is the public site from my Office 365 subscription) although it may move later...
Office 365 Updates on the Office Blogs.
- 2/12/2015: Remove Sway from the App Launcher (see also KB3075256).
- 10/11/2015: UK datacentres for Azure and Office 365.
- 2/11/2015: OneDrive storage limits decreased (FAQ).
- 29/9/2015: Express Route for Office 365 GA.
- 22/9/2015: Introducing Office 365 Planner (launching to First Release customers in Q4 2015).
- 8/7/2015: New activity logging and reporting capabilities.
Granular administrative roles in Office 365 (described by Tony Redmond).
Auto-expanding archives for Office 365 email (no need to raise a service request for more storage).
Microsoft invests in sub-sea datacentre connectivity.
- 7/5/2015: Office 365 Import service for uploading bulk data (e.g. PSTs) -
more information on TechNet.
No more IE9 support for Yammer (IE8 support ended 31/12/2014).
New OneDrive API.
Yammer moving into Microsoft datacentres 16 May 2015 (from AWS, I understand, although I can't find a link for that...).
Enhancing Office 365 security and control - new management activity API (e.g. for SIEM) with private preview summer 2015,
Customer Lockbox (in Exchange Online by end of 2015, SharePoint Online Q1 2016), and content-level encryption (by end of 2015).
Office 365 Video begins rollout with new mobile app (for iOS) and HTML5 player.
SharePoint Server 2016 announcement (public beta in Q4 2014 and GA in Q2 2016).
Skype for Business general availability (client update as part of the April Office update, server updates for Lync Online during April and May 2015).
Exchange Online Advanced Threat Protection (extends EOP for an additional charge).
- 1/4/2015: Exchange Online onboarding limit (per message) increased to 150MB (via Nuno Mota at MSExchange.org).
Extension of Azure ExpressRoute to allow direct connectivity to Office 365.
Upgrade of Lync Online to Skype for Business (no mention of release timeframes GA will be 14 April 2015).
Extended email retention for deleted items in Exchange Online (watch out for mailbox growth).
- 17/2/2015: Office 365 partner admin mobile app available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
Evolution of SharePoint in the cloud.
Updates to Office 365 encryption options.
- 17/2/2015: Sign in page branding and cloud user self-service password reset (previously required an Azure AD subscription - self-service password reset still does for non-cloud users).
- 20/1/2015: Enhanced email protection in Office 365 with DKIM and DMARC.
Roadmap for unifying OneDrive functionality (from Ed Bott).
Salesforce and OneDrive for Business integration for file sharing (see
Salesforce Files Connect announcement).
Yammer is now included in K1 plans (so it's now in all Office 365 for Business plans).
Office 365 availability from Japanese datacentres.
Office 365 availability from Australian datacentres.
Video calling between Lync and Skype.
- 2/12/2014: Office ProPlus available at no extra cost to students and educational staff worldwide.
- 18/11/2014: New Office 365 Video functionality (rolling out through to early 2015) on Enterprise plans.
Use Office 365 credentials to log on to Yammer (rolling out from December 2014 to March 2015).
Updated authentication for Office 2013 (MFA and SAML ID providers), coming later in November 2014 (Office client passive authentication).
Lync to become Skype for Business (in H1 2015).
New Clutter feature for Inbox management.
Office on Demand withdrawn.
Office mobile apps freed from the need for an Office 365 subscription (for consumers).
New version of Outlook for Mac released to Office 365 subscribers (as long as they have an Office license).
.NET Client library for Office 365 reporting.
Exchange data loss prevention (DLP) technology being made available to other Office 365 workloads.
Mobile device management from Intune rolled into Office 365 subscriptions.
Unlimited OneDrive for Business storage (together with an FAQ).
Sharing files in Outlook Web App using OneDrive for Business.
Groups bring some Yammer functionality into Outlook Web App and OneDrive for Business, rolling out to all on eligible plans by end of 2014.
Azure Active Directory Sync is now GA.
Office Delve rolling out to all by early 2015.
Changes to Office ProPlus, including removal of Office on Demand.
- 5/2014: DirSync backup for federated sign-in.
Alternative sign-in ID (reducing dependence on UPN).
Azure Active Directory Sync Preview (with password write-back and multi-forest support).
Azure Active Directory Premium is GA (including self-service password reset).
Support for SAML 2.0 for Office 365 federation.
Multi-factor authentication for Office 365.
DirSync supported on Domain Controllers.
- 6/11/2013: Yammer made available to Office 365 enterprise customers.
Password hash added to DirSync.
Lync Hybrid Offers Simplified (deprecation of Lync Online hybrid voice).
Planning and Deployment resources
Training and certification
- Microsoft Virtual Academy:
- Microsoft Official Curriculum:
To license Office 365, costs are provided on the
Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal. These are ordered and paid for directly by customers (although trial tenants may be created by partners though the
FastTrack portal). Customers with Enterprise Agreements have additional options including not just the Office 365 plans but 'add-on' and 'bridge' licenses for on-premises Office and CAL Suites.
Information for partners
Tips, tricks and more from my blog
There are a few posts missing from this list, because I consider them to be out-of-date (although they are still available):
Useful to know
(Including tips and tricks from elsewhere on the web):
Bits and bytes (downloads)